Friday, July 18, 2014

Super Fun: Pintrest Test


There was a recent birthday party for a 3 year old boy that we were invited to. When asking the mother what he might like, even she was a little perplexed. He has an older brother who is 3 years ahead of him. He has benefited by being the first and getting most of the traditional gifts through the years. There are no shortage of boy hand me down toys.

Yet, this little boy loves Barney!

So I decided to craft up a Barney inspired superhero play costume.


In taking to Pintrest, I found this pin the most helpful in providing a free printable sewing pattern for the cape.

I purchased a few sheets of craft felt, while going with 1/2 yd of purple felt from Joanns. Velcro and elastic were already on hand. Use your own child for gaging just how long of cape you want, and don't be afraid to jazz the bottom hem up. I made mine come to a point in the middle, but sky's

the limit.


Although you can't exactly see it, I tried to jazz up the mask (channeling my inner Ninja Turtle) in painting some white tulle with black acrylic paint to put in between the layers on the mask where the eye holes were. Also, in giving the felt some strength, I used a material used when making baby shoes or fabric baskets that gives some extra strength (almost cardboard like). You could even used a sheet of craft foam I bet.

I did more hand sewing than machine, as felt is very forgiving. Use a hot glue gun to glue on the front mask portion, as fabric glue does not work well when gluing felt on felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment