Thursday, October 9, 2014

Costumes & Cuties


It's that month again, and along with all the general fall decorations and such...it's costume season!

Last year, we went out as a family to a harvest party (was too cold and wet to go outside) and I went to extra efforts to dress my son up as Charlie Brown, while I pulled general fairy wings and dress up stuff for Eliza.

This year, now that Nolan is mobile and Eliza is a year older...I'm hitting Pintrest for inspiration.

There are a lot of store bought options for the under 5 crowd, but I think the best ones are those that are not a stuffed animal suit on your kid with just a face exposed. For my southern California friends, these are not made for ya'll with the nice weather. Kids end up wearing for a total 5 minutes in those things.

I think the best kinds are those that express their personality and don't steal their spotlight and distract. Sometimes less is more.

Don't think you have any crafty talent?

Felt and a glue gun is your best friend.

My mother use to hit up thrift stores for tops and bottoms that would work and could be modified by using fabric dye or simple alterations. Hoodies are a great alternative to a hot and itchy wig. Just stitch or glue on felt or yarn until covered. Even printing out superhero insignia and glueing to cardboard can be an easy alternative. Just hot glue to fabric and voila!

Possibilities are endless when you think outside of the Halloween store!

So what are your little goblins going dressed up as?

No comments:

Post a Comment