Monday, October 27, 2014

A House Divided by Milk

Found this setup at Walmart while kid free one night


There comes a time when one must face the music instead of dancing to it, oblivious and in denial to the words being sung.

In my case, it was a matter of getting my blood work back after procrastinating and using the excuse of having the kids with me as to why I couldn't do an 8 hour blood fast.

First the good news...

Things like my thyroid, sodium, platelet count, A1c (phew!) and blood pressure were great!

Not so great news...

The lipids panel could use some work. Cholesterol was only 12 pts over, while the good fats were lacking a little (but told a lot of people struggle and could be hereditary). Except my triglycerides were way way over where they should be.

Losing weight can lower them, along with a low fat diet (cue the boring elevator music)

With that being said, it really irked me that I hadn't had better numbers in something that I know can be super important when it comes to heart health. I didn't think my diet was that bad, and I certainly wasn't having a love affair with pork fat.

So, it has brought me to having to really take a look at my diet and portions to see how much of this is in my control without the use of drugs.

I've taken a look at just how I eat my food. After years of 30 min lunch breaks, I noticed that I don't chew my food all the way. And just before I've had a chance to swallow said food, my arm is bringing up another fork full. To help slow things down and make myself more conscious, I make myself put down the knife and fork between bites, not to be picked up until I've properly chewed and swallowed the last bite.

And believe me....I thought I was patient, but it has caused me to notice just how impatient I was becoming.

This brings me to the war on milk....

You should have heard the reaction Matt gave in regards to my recent purchase of fat free milk. Never mind the fact that I had purchased two gallons of 2% milk along with it. Threats of returning it to the store were thrown like random objects at a discovered spider. Statements such as, it's not healthy for you or anyone also ensued.

Oh honey...trust me...I will have no problem in our culture to make up the fats that you find lacking in my personal gallon of milk. More for me I guess!

1 comment:

  1. In my house we buy two different kinds of milk because I like drinking skim milk and my husband loves drinking 2%. When our daughter turns 1 we will be up to 3 kinds of milk in our house for three people...

    ReplyDelete