Sunday, September 28, 2014

Button Button, who's got the Button?

Tonight I write this post, not to link it to Facebook, but to just be real with those who come to visit without being asked to.

For most of my life, I've heard compliments of:

"You're so creative"

"What talent"

"You should go into business"

"How lucky are you"

It is all fine and dandy, but as the saying goes...actions speak louder than words.

Ever since I quit my outside job, I've tried to become more intentional with my entrepreneurial skills. From doing photography, trying to watch children or crafting...all things or services in which I can pursue without having to sacrifice staying home with my children.

I've tried selling some decorative owls, called Anytime Owls. With the time, skill, and materials needed...these are not some made in China ornament. I found out the other day that a lady who was allowing me to have a display of the owls said that they were not selling and returned my inventory. She said people felt they were too expensive and wanted to only buy them at 70% less.

Have we all gone mad with Walmart prices?!

I am only charging what one would pay at a specialty store, and probably less than a boutique. But yet, folks will lay down $20 for a mass produced with no personal craftsmanship ornament from Hallmark.

I think one of the most outrageous cost of these would be what places charge for buttons. We are talking about a small snack baggie of assorted colored buttons at 5-6 a pop! I didn't think plastic was THAT expensive...as it would cost an absurd amount for 1 gallon of buttons compared to a gallon of gas.

I've tried to go below what the market is charging for my talents/services, but it is very humbling to get passed over for someone else...especially when you know what you are worth. I'm not looking to make a fortune, but to provide for my children this Christmas. I know I am capable, and I don't want a hand out. Just to work hard for my family in small ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment