Monday, September 8, 2014

All the Cool Kids


It's school time around these parts, and my Facebook feed is full of "first days" with cute kids posing with cute paper signs of what grade they are entering, future career aspirations, and cute back to school clothes. Summer has come and gone and even the leaves on the trees are starting to turn. Such a difference compared to San Diego county where the kids have been back in class for several weeks now and won't see the leaves change until closer to November.

In this time, I find myself feeling a little left out. Many of Eliza's peers have started going to preschool. I don't ever remember going this early to any formal education in my young life. A daycare for sure, hosted at a private home while attending Children's World there after.

People seem a little surprised when they hear Eliza isn't going anywhere. With the cost of sending her and also having to be responsible for transportation...it isn't in our meager budget with only one car.
It's hard to not feel like we are letting our first born down in her earliest years of education.
She will be eligible for the public pre-k program next year that does provide busing. Something that will be a blessing and a curse in having to be home at certain times in getting her on and off the bus.

I've tried to spend a little time a few days a week giving her a mini lesson while Nolan naps.....but it is hard to be motivated and having to build resource materials on the fly.

In a perfect world, I would have a school corner with a desk and colorful posters on the wall of the abc's, a calendar of the months. We could have a felt board with lessons and velcro laminated cards to stick on. But instead, all we have is a dry erase board on the side of her art station and quickly drawn concepts. Colors, shapes and numbers up to 15 are on the mastered side of things, but the alphabet and sounds is a struggle with her speech delay.

So there you have it folks....my life is far from perfect or put together, but I enjoy having as place where I can be frank about life as a mother in this season of my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment