Friday, April 4, 2014

Personal Playmate?



So here is a question I have posed for those of you who are SAHM's.

How much time are you devoting/giving/guilted into playing with your children in the day?

I think it is great to play with your kids, but on the other hand, I don't want to foster dependency on only being able to play with mommy, instead of independently. Being an only child, I had to learn to play alone.

When working, I would try and savor whatever sanity I could, doing things I wanted to do/enjoy before shuffling out the door for daycare and work. That meant having my lunch in the office while the kids ate at the table together.

I've had to catch myself slipping into old routines.

There is always nap time after all....

Is there a magic age where this blossoms? I only know about it for school age kids at the youth center, but they of course, were not my kids.

After writing this, I have come to add some additional information. I came across this article from The Huffington Post. It does strike a chord with trying to keep the balance of fun and reality. I think an imagination is one of the most precious things we can cultivate in our children and ourselves. Just don't overlook the simplicity of everyday life and the magic upon a new set of eyes (think of cardboard box house that you let them decorate)

Link up to this post and share your play habits. Let me know and I'll post a few of my favorites in a follow up post.

No comments:

Post a Comment