Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Curiosity


As most mothers may know, trying to cook with children underfoot can be a daunting challenge. One may want to be in your arms all.the.time. While the other insist on putting hands on to the counters and dipping fingers in the butter dish in the process. I know I've had to stop many times to run interference so the oven door can open.

While prepping the other day, Eliza was as always full of curiosity as to what mommy was doing. A treat of fresh green beans were on the menu that night, requiring extra attention before being steamed. Having a toddler between you and the counter while little fingers kept growing closer to my chef knife made me a bit nervous. 

I would like dinner tonight....hold the blood and an ER visit please.


So in order to honor and entertain her curiosity, I decided, "what the heck, just plop her right on the counter." She just thought this was such a treat! Eliza is getting to that age where I can trust her in new ways, not worrying about her falling off the counter. She is learning that knives and other kitchen tools can be sharp as she points while I chop away and says "boo boo mommy?"

I do look forward to venturing into many more activities like baking together where she can participate in more ways than just observing. Yes, I know this will mean more mess, time, patience etc but....

YOLO

1 comment:

  1. She looks fascinated by helping/being up on the counter and getting in on the action.

    ReplyDelete