Thursday, April 24, 2014

My Adult ADHD

In working with children for many years, one might think that I encounter many kids with ADHD and are all drugged and probably have a peanut allergy.

Things could be so far from the truth.

Kids are active.period. No candy induced sugar rush will make them any more hyperactive than they were before. Trust me.

I was never per say, that kid who was bouncing off the wall constantly. I was the girl who flew under the radar  I read this article about how to explain what it is like to have ADHD.

It.is.so.spot.on!

In a way, my former job was a good fit for this learning disability. I had an outlet for my endless creative energy and mental drive to come up with projects and games.

When I was diagnosed in my adult years, after I was married to Matt, it explained so much of why I was struggling in these last few years of transition and before with school. Growing up, I lived in the same house and room for 24 years. Everyone else moved away from me through the years. My grades were either an A or C/D. Stuff I had an interest in and then the stuff that was forced to take. I excelled in college, well beyond my high school accumilitive gpa of 2.8 to a 3.8, earning highest honors.

I've been on medication before, which I did see an improvement in daily functioning. Due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, I've had to pause. Not to mention, the medications are not cheap despite insurance.

I may not function like most of the world does, but its my way of doing things that've found works. Almost like a flat head vs. phillips head.

ADHD is not a disease, and its something that is passed down. Something I will continue to watch for in my own children, especially my daughter.

I am thankful for an understanding husband who has walked down this path of self discovery with me, doing his best to "get" me when I don't exactly get myself.

Certainly not a dull moment in this house!

No comments:

Post a Comment