Monday, January 12, 2015

The Realities of True Friendship

They say that the average lifespan of any friendship you have will last seven years.

In some of my friendships, this has held to be pretty true. Seasons of life change, and we don't all move into the same chapter or book for that matter, at the same time. I have friends I've known and stay in contact from early childhood, those I went to college with and the ones I've cultivated since moving here to Rome.

The best and valued kinds, in my humble opinion, are the ones where you are not afraid to speak the truth when it is truly warranted.

Truth can hurt, and forgiving does not always come easy either.

I've had a friendship with someone who I care deeply about. When most others around her were shouting cheers and congratulations, I had to speak from the heart. This wasn't exactly what they wanted to hear, but I did want her to be happy and share in the festivities alongside and support then, as we had gone through a lot.

In being involved in this life changing event, it required an investment of mine. The kinds where there are no refunds given if you change dates etc... I had felt hurt by this and some choices being made that I felt was going against our faith in Christ.

I hated that I felt this way, and struggled to forgive them for a good chunk of time. But after awhile, I was tired of this rift between us and missed the friendship we once had. Things eventually worked themselves out and my feelings of betrayal and hurt had finally been lifted by the only one who was strong enough to lift the heavy burden.

You know you have an even more awesome friend when things don't pan out the way they had thought, and everything is coming apart, just as your friend was concerned about.....and they don't slap you with an "I told you so" in the face. Instead, they become a shoulder to cry on, an ear to vent on, and walk alongside instead of all over you.

A friendship or relationship does not come without conflict. It is this very conflict that makes us grow together...not apart...and a bond even stronger than before.

I am so very glad this friendship of mine was not tossed aside when the waters of the funship cruise became troubled.

No comments:

Post a Comment