Friday, May 16, 2014

Splish Splash - Cheap Fun in the Tub

If you are a mother on Pintrest, I am sure you have seen these pins about how to make a fun suction cup pipe maze using items found from the dollar store and Home Depot. When I caught sight of them, I went to see what materials were going to cost and where to find them.


After looking around...I could start to see that this could turn into a $40 bath toy......
For some reason...PVC isn't exactly cheap. Especially when you try and get those seen in the image above. But the biggest lie about this project is where they state where to get the suction cups. No....the dollar store does not stock them, nor Big Lots or any other home improvement store. Some will carry them, but they have a giant plastic hook going through them for bath needs.

After expanding my search, I did find plain suction cups at Michaels. But for three medium sized ones, it was over $3.00 for a pack. 

Just.3.cups. 

This seemed like a fun project and bath toy, but I couldn't see spending that much money on it.

But low and behold!



What you'll need
X number of suction cups. I used those I found from other discarded items (think Baking Soda disks that you stick up...broken toys that use them etc)

As many as you want plastic bottles from recycle bin. (think kid meal milk bottles and washed peanut butter jars)

What to do
I used my pointed Fiskars scissors to poke holes for the suction cups and for water to enter and exit. Get creative in how you attach the containers and how the water will play through them. If you have a large or strong sc, put it on the bottom so water can travel away from the wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment