Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Adult Crafts


I've been busy, tooling away with a hammer, nails, and a mix of purchased/recycled wood. Why all the trouble? 

Well, I have a love/hate relationship with my garage. It is our only true place of storage space and after four years of living here and two kids....it's become the catch all of our busy lives. What makes it difficult is the complete lack of shelving for anything.

Shelves cost money....

Money we do not have...

A place we do not own....



Que cheap and free wood!

I've been known to stop from time to time when spotting some particular interesting trash set out on the curb. Where I live, the garbage men will accept particularly large items such as couches, entertainment centers etc... Now now that I thought that they would even touch it, someone had thrown out one of those large wooden swingsets you see outside of Walmart. It had seen some wear, but I saw it as an opportunity to salvage some of the cedar planks.

I am also not limited to scouting out any free wood bins either, or asking for free pallets and those wood pieces found for use in bundling large piles of stacked lumber.

Besides wood, I have also scored some discarded outside toys :)

Using 2 in nails and purchasing a few 8x4's and 8x2's, I've been able to make some easy storage shelves for bulk pantry items and whatever else needs to be off the floor and in it's place. My goal is to have the garage clean and organized by mid summer...as long as the kids can nap long enough ;)


These units measure about 4 ft wide, 2 ft deep and 4ish ft tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment